Come meet some of our people (as well as some guest speakers) and hear them speak at these upcoming industry events. You can also download select papers and presentations from past events below. Please check back frequently for new events.
Big Data Lecture Series, April 23, 2014, MIT CSAIL, Stata Center, Cambridge, Mass.
CHI 2014, April 26-May 1, 2014, Toronto, Canada
- “End-Users Publishing Structured Information on the Web: An Observational Study of What, Why, and How.” Ted Benson, David Karger
Big Data Lecture Series, May 15, 2014, MIT CSAIL, Stata Center, Cambridge, Mass.
28th IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2014), May 19-23, 2014, Phoenix, Arizona
18th Annual IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference (HPEC ’14), September 9-11, 2014, Waltham, Mass.
Past Events/Papers & Presentations
(Click on the links to download slide presentations and papers.)
Big Data Privacy Workshop: Advancing the State of the Art in Technology and Practice, March 3, 2014, MIT Wong Auditorium, Cambridge, Mass. Replay link.
22nd ACM/SIGDA International Symposium on Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA 2014), February 26-28, 2014, Monterey, Calif.
- “Scalable Multi-Access Flash Store for Big Data Analytics,” Sang-Woo Jun, Ming Liu, Kermin Fleming, Arvind
Big Data Lecture Series, February 6, 2014, MIT CSAIL, Stata Center, Cambridge, Mass.
- “NSA Surveillance and What to Do About It ,” Bruce Schneier, Fellow, Berkman Center for Internet and Society (video)
24th ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP ’13), November 3-6, 2013, Farmington, Pennsylvania
- “Speedy Transactions in Multicore In-Memory Databases.” Stephen Tu, Wenting Zheng, Eddie Kohler, Barbara Liskov, Samuel Madden
7th Extremely Large Databases Conference 2013 (XLDB 2013), September 9 -12, 2013, Stanford University, California
- ”Funding Large-Scale Software Projects.” Michael Stonebraker
- “A Vision and Research Program in ‘Big Data’.” Michael Stonebraker
- “GenBase: A Complex Analytics DBMS Benchmark.” Sam Madden, Michael Stonebraker, Manasi Vartek, Rebecca Taft
- “Big-Data Analytics Usability.” (Best-Voted 2013 Lightning Talk) Magda Balazinska
10th Annual Conference on Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics (PPAM 2013), September 8-11, 2013, Warsaw, Poland
- “Portable HPC Programming on Intel Many-Integrated-Core Hardware with MAGMA Port to Xeon Phi.” Jack Dongarra, Mark Gates, Azzam Haidar, Yulu Jia, Khairul Kabir, Piotr Luszczek, Stanimire Tomov
Annual Conference on Very Large Data Bases 2013 (VLDB 2013), August 26-30, 2013, Riva del Garda, Italy
- Keynote: “The DataHub: A Collaborative Data Analytics and Visualization Platform.” Sam Madden
- “Counting with the Crowd.” Adam Marcus, David Karger, Sam Madden, Robert Miller, Sewoong Oh
- “Processing Analytical Queries over Encrypted Data.” Stephen Tu, Frans Kaashoek, Sam Madden, Nickolai Zeldovich
- “Scorpion: Explaining Away Outliers in Aggregate Queries.” Eugene Wu, Sam Madden
- “Hadoop’s Adolescence: An Analysis of Hadoop Usage in Scientific Workloads.” Kai Ren, Yongchul Kwon, Magdalena Balazinska, Bill Howe
- “A Demonstration of Iterative Parallel Array Processing in Support of Telescope Image Analysis.” Emad Soroush, Spencer Wallace, Magdalena Balazinska, Matthew Moyers, Simon Krughoff, Jake Vanderplas, Andrew Connolly
2013 ACM SIGMOD/PODS Conference, June 22-27, 2013, New York City
- “Toward Practical Query Pricing with QueryMarket.” Paraschos Koutris, Prasang Upadhyaya, Magdalena Balazinska, Bill Howe, Dan Suciu
- “Performance and Resource Modeling in Highly-Concurrent OLTP Workloads.” Barzan Mozafari, Carlo Curino, Alekh Jindal, Samuel Madden
- “A Vision for Personalized Service Level Agreements in the Cloud.” Jennifer Ortiz, Victor Teixeira de Almeida, Magdalena Balazinska
- “The Power of Data Use Management in Action.” Prasang Upadhyaya, Nick Anderson, Magdalena Balazinska, Bill Howe, Raghav Kaushik, Ravi Ramamurthy, Dan Suciu
EuroVis 2013, June 17-21, 2013, Leipzig, Germany
2013 SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering, Feb .25 – March 1, 2013, Boston
- “Large Data Analysis using the Dynamic Distributed Dimensional Data Model (D4M).” Jeremy Kepner
- “How to Achieve Scalable Complex Analytics.” Mike Stonebraker
6th Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR), Asilomar, Calif, January 6-9, 2013
- “StatusQuo: Making Familiar Abstractions Perform Using Program Analysis”. Sam Madden, Alvin Cheung
- “DBSeer: Resource and Performance Prediction for Building a Next Generation Database Cloud”. Sam Madden, Barzan Mozafari
- “Query Steering for Interactive Data Exploration”. Ugur Cetintemel, Stan Zdonik
- “Stop that Query! The Need for Managing Data Use”. Magdalena Balazinska, Bill Howe
- “Data Curation at Scale: The Data Tamer System”. Mike Stonebraker, Stan Zdonik
ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2012 Conference, November 6-9, 2012, Redondo Beach, Calif.
- Keynote presentation: “Going Big on Spatial Data: A Mobile Systems Perspective,” Sam Madden
Big Data Seminar Series, October 24, 2012
“What Makes Big Visual Data Hard?” Alyosha Efros, Finmeccanica Associate Professor in the The Robotics Institute and Computer Science Department, School of Computer Science, at Carnegie Mellon University (Part II, “What Makes Paris Look Like Paris?”)
Big Data Seminar Series, October 11, 2012
“Using Big Data to Shape Empirical Decision Making in Insurance,” Murli Buluswar, Chief Science Officer, AIG-Property & Casualty
OSDI 2012, October 8-10, 2012, Hollywood, Calif.
- “GraphChi: Large-Scale Graph Computation on Just a PC”: Aapo Kyrola, Guy Blelloch, Carlos Guestrin, all of Carnegie Mellon University (paper)
- “PowerGraph: Distributed Graph-Parallel Computation on Natural Graphs”: Joseph E. Gonzalez, Yucheng Low, Haijie Gu, Danny Bickson, Carlos Guestrin, all of Carnegie Mellon University (paper)
Big Data Seminar Series, September 26, 2012
“Programming and Debugging Large-Scale Data Processing Workflows,” Christopher Olston, Google (formerly Yahoo! Research)
Big Data Seminar Series, September 12, 2012
“Living with Big Data: Challenges and Opportunities,” Jeffrey Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat, Google
IEEE High Performance Extreme Computing Conference, September 10-12, 2012, Waltham, Mass.
- “Big Ocean Data: Query Processing Meets Numerical Methods.” Bill Howe, University. of Washington
- “Large-Scale Network Situational Awareness Via 3D Gaming Technology,” Jeremy Kepner, MIT Lincoln Laboratory,
38th Annual Conference on Very Large Databases, August 27 – 31, 2012, Istanbul, Turkey
- “Human-powered Sorts and Joins”: Adam Marcus, Eugene Wu, David Karger, Samuel Madden, Robert Miller
- “Automatic Partitioning of Database Applications”: Alvin Cheung, Owen Arden, Samuel Madden, Andrew C. Myers
- “Blink and It’s Done: Interactive Queries on Very Large Data”: Sameer Agarwal, Aurojit Panda, Barzan, Mozafari, Anand Iyer, Samuel Madden, Ion Stoica
- “A Demonstration of DBWipes: Clean as You Query”: Eugene Wu, Samuel Madden, Michael Stonebraker
- “How to Price Shared Optimizations in the Cloud”: Prasang Upadhyaya, Magdalena Balazinska, Dan Suciu
- “Distributed GraphLab: A Framework for Machine Learning and Data Mining in the Cloud”: Yucheng Low, Joseph Gonzalez, Aapo Kyrola, Danny Bickson, Carlos Guestrin, Joseph M. Hellerstein
- “PerfXplain: Debugging MapReduce Job Performance”: Nodira Khoussainova, Magdalena Balazinska, Dan Suciu
- “SkewTune in Action: Mitigating Skew in MapReduce Applications”: YongChul Kwon, Magdalena Balazinska, Bill Howe, Jerome Rolia
- “QueryMarket Demonstration: Pricing for Online Data Markets”: Paraschos Koutris, Prasang Upadhyaya, Magdalena Balazinska, Bill Howe, Dan Suciu